Ramadan Writing Contest 2017
Muslim Youth Musings is an online home for creative Islamic literature, featuring essays, short stories, memoirs, and poems written by young Muslims across the globe.
This year, we’re proud to announce our first ever Ramadan Writing Contest!
2017 Theme: My Story with the Qur’an
Ever open the Quran and have memories and reflections rush through your mind? Share that with us in the form of a memoir, poem, short story, or essay, and compete to win first place!
Prize: $150 Amazon.com Gift Card
Submission Deadline: June 11, 2017
Winner Announcement: June 30, 2017 on MYM’s Facebook Page
Contestant Age Range: Open to all ages
Word Count: An essay, memoir, or short story must be at least 750 words. Poems must be at least 9 lines. All submissions must be less than 2,000 words.
Judging Criteria: All submissions will be pre-screened by the judges. The top submissions will be published on Muslim Youth Musings by June 14, 2017. Of the published submissions, 40% of the points will be determined by the number of Facebook likes each post receives on MYM by June 29, 2017, relative to the other submissions. The remaining 60% of the points will be determined by the judges that will be grading each submission based on writing quality, organization, style, and grammar & usage.
Top 10 Submissions
- Alysha Bhatti: Light upon Light
- Anifowoshe Ibrahim: Dead Language
- Asha Cole: Layla’s Miracle
- Farhana Lunat: Blissful Ignorance
- Muhammad Tayyib Mahmood: What Makes Me Happy
- Nasmira Firdous: A Barren Piece of Rock
- Nurnazida Nazri: A Story of Hope
- Rima Asfour: Moving Your Heart Towards the Holiest of Books
- Safiyya Patel: From Sadness to Satisfaction
- Sania Khan: Are You Talking About Sujood?
Voting through Facebook Likes on each piece continues until June 29. 2017. The votes, in addition to the judging rubric scores will determine the grand prize winner that will be announced on June 30, 2017 on our Facebook Page insha’Allah. Please read through each piece and vote for your favorite piece.