The Taste of Death

By on February 1, 2013

What if your day had arrived?
Imagine if your entire life was a lie.
Assess yourself as your sins flash by;
You’re wasting your youth and you don’t know why.
Tears flow, but there’s no time left to cry –
You’ve got one last breath, one last sigh.

The Angel of Death has come too soon;
He snatches your soul with a startling boom.
In an instant, you know that you are doomed.
“Kullu nafsin dhaa iqatul maut. Thumma ilayna tur ja’oon.”
He warned you, He warned you; did He not warn you?
Hunched over, you’re miserable in a state of gloom.
Did you really believe that you were immune?

You’re made to enter your grave alone,
Compressed beneath your worldly throne.
Munkar and Nakir arrive; you’re now in the test zone.
“Who is Your Lord? Prophet? Book?” “I don’t know,” you moan.
Eternal punishment begins; it’s too late to atone
With the pressure of your sins squeezing your bones.
For ages to come, this pit will be your home.

You lived among many but you died alone, here with no allies,
Yet you know that you haven’t reached your final demise,
And when the Day of Judgment finally arrives,
When the trumpet is blown, out of your grave you arise.
The records prove you’re condemned; why were you so unwise?
Every beat of your heart echoes screams and cries.
Your shameful book of deeds can never be revised.

Before you, hellfire is set ablaze;
Its sparks leap to and fro in a craze.
The doomed are shocked and paralyzed in a haze,
Sorely regretting all the wasted nights and days.
The message of Allah had been clearly conveyed,
But all you did was go far, far astray.

My inspiration for this piece came from my reflections on this past Ramadan. I thought of how blessed we were to be able to live through another Ramadan, a month of indescribable bliss and reassurance that there is hope and forgiveness for us despite the amount of sins we’ve committed in the past. On the other hand, something was troubling me. The thrill of praying qiyam at 3 am on a weeknight was coupled with genuine fear for those who simply refused to take advantage of this beautiful month. I knew that as much as I tried to wipe away my bad habits, there were always people who refused to give up theirs. I knew that no matter how much I tried to focus on the Hereafter, there are many who have completely lost sight of it.

I knew a girl who was born a Muslim but died an Atheist. She had her whole life planned, a bright future ahead of her. She wanted to go to Harvard and make a name for herself. She was blessed with intelligence, liveliness, and beauty, but none of her future plans included her Creator. She had no time for Him, choosing instead to pave her own life for herself. At the age of 17, she dropped dead. Just like that. A heart problem wasn’t detected until her autopsy. Her soul was seized while she was running on a treadmill, probably dreaming about her future, graduating, or even what she’d eat for dinner.

The Angel of Death does not distinguish between ages. There are no second chances. The day of our death is the biggest mystery to every one of us, yet it is the day we spend the least amount of time preparing for. Are you prepared for your taste of death?

“Every soul shall taste Death; then to Him shall we return.” (29:57)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

12 Responses to "The Taste of Death"

1. Sabera says:

The intensity of this piece blew me away, masha’Allah.
    My favorite lines were “You’re made to enter your grave alone / Compressed beneath your worldly throne.” It does a great job of knocking some sense back into us.

2. Aysha says:

Such a riveting and strong poem mashaAllah! Loved every bit of it!

3. Jasim says:

Beautiful poem, and such an incredibly important reminder in a world wherein the concept of death being something that is hurtling towards us at a relentless speed is far removed from the bubbles we live in.
    JazakAllahkhair for your insight.

4. SumaiyahKhan says:

You’re made to enter your grave alone…

That part really got to me, but subhanallah amazing piece in general..and a very powerful reminder.

5. Maryam says:

Wow MashaAllah, I loved the poem and the message. The line that stood out most to me was You lived among many but you died alone, here with no allies. It just spoke so much truth SubhanAllah. We live here as though we will live forever, and spend so much time hanging out, on Facebook, etc without realizing we will leave everything behind when we are gone. JazakallahuKhairan for the reminder :)

6. Raadia says:

Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. This is a much needed reminder… not to mention the banner matched the title very well.

While I was reading, I kept thinking, “this could be me”. We all will die one day, of course, but I kept thinking about the phrase “taste of death”. When you taste something, not eat it, you experience it without succumbing to it completely. When someone is struck by lightning, their heart stops. They tasted death, and they got another chance.

But few get another chance. Either that or we are surrounded by reminders, as hard-hitting as this poem, but never heed them enough to save us from the hungry fire.

7. Shahin says:

this was a very intense poem and a great reminder SubhanAllah! I love repetition in poetry so “He warned you, He warned you; did He not warn you?” is probably gonna haunt me for some time from now. The story of the girl that you included in your description was very scary in the sense that so many young Muslims are losing their Deen or dying so soon, without the opportunities to do good deeds. May Allah make us among those who have long lives full of good deeds and May He preserve our Iman. Ameen.

8. Raima says:

Hey, This is very nice!
    Can I share it on another site,if you dont mind?
    I’ll give you full credit.
    Jazaka Allah :)

9. onlinebusiness says:

only Allah knows

10. amber says:

vere painful! it opened my eyes i have so many namaz pending which i should read khaza insha allah i will complete it very soon.Prophet muhammads(SAS) last words MERI UMMAT NAMAAZ MAT CHODNA.Follow his words please!!!!!!!

11. Fatuma143 says:

Wow its really good poem